Monday, December 7, 2009

Special Report: Dangerous molds found in my classroom!

Yes, you read the heading right, I found dangerous Aspergillus Molds as well as Black Molds in my classroom. That is only two of the molds that I found - there were seven in all. I had my dire suspicions about there being mold present in the air due to the fact that I was repeatedly fighting off pesky sinus infections and gushing nose bleeds. What I did was buy a mold kit from the drug store, it cost me twenty bucks, plus forty more dollars to have it analyzed. So, basically I paid sixty dollars to have my suspicions affirmed and to know that I am breathing in hazardous, cancer-causing agents on a daily basis. Nasty!
I worked in a law firm for three years before becoming a mediocre teacher, so I know a little bit about the law. The school district knew about the poor air quality in Summers Elementary (my school) years ago and did nothing to help the teachers or the students from breathing in deadly toxins. This small detail makes them LIABLE. If a kid were to, say die of pnemonia, which is a common problem when mold is in such high volume, the district would have an ulgy law suit on their hands. How do I know that the district had prior knowledge of the mold? The school nurse pressed the district to conduct a mold test last year, and the result were horrible; toxic levels were found. However, the district kept this a secret, only changing the filters in the vents. I spoke with an expert who told me that changing the vents only causes the molds that were dormant on the vent bottoms to lift and go back into the air supply - so they only made the problem that much worse. This expert, who works for the district, also told me that the problems with mold have been a known factor for years among district personel. Stay tuned for more on this ever developing story...

No comments:

Post a Comment