Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Is Your Child's Principal Competent?

As you can imagine, a school without competent leadership can be a very hazardous and insidious place. This is the case in my school; Summer's Elementary. We have a phantom principal. She is an incredibly lazy, severely overweight, brutally reclusive punchline.
Let me give you two quick examples so you don't think that I have a principal vendetta and wish to throw her under the school bus. There was an assembly held a few months ago, one of the few that she actually attended. Many parents were packed into the minuscule auditorium. Some of the students in the crowd were obnoxiously loud to the point where the speaker had to ask them to quiet down multiple times. This kept happening and the principal said nothing - did nothing. When it got to the point when someone had to do something, she sprang to action by retreating out of the auditorium and into her office. The parents were outraged and demanded to talk with her. She denied them the privilege of an apology or even the sight of her inflated face. Rather, she hid in her office until all the parents had dispersed and her assorted cookie stash was completely digested.
The next example happened to me personally, but effects the whole school. If you remember in a previous blog I mentioned that I did a private mold test, had it analyzed, and found 7 different kinds of molds floating in my classroom's air supply. We are breathing hazardous toxins - I proved it. I sent the principal a detailed e-mail about the grave condition of my environment and the environment of my students; which is more important. It took her two weeks to even respond. She was not even the one to respond to me, it was her secretary who handed me a note. The note said that the school district would soon be doing a mold test. Why would I want the school district to do a mold test in my classroom? They are just going to lie about the results so they do not have to spend money to fix the problem. Anyway, the principal then rejected an after school meeting from both me and the school nurse to further address the situation. What a spineless, inconsiderate loser.
The principal at my school does not care about the school, the community, or the children. Why would a school district that has already been sued multiple times for educational segregation (which I will talk about in later articles) put a dummy principal in a title 1 elementary school that is serving an underprivileged student population?? 90 percent of the students in my school are poor. In the wintertime, they wear three T-shirts instead of a coat. Their parents drop them off and pick them up on bicycles, even in the freezing weather. The school district gives each teacher a measly $250 dollars a year to spend in their classrooms. This is not close to enough, especially when teachers have to spend it on basic school supplies due to the fact that students will come to school empty-handed. The point that I am trying to make here is that this school district should chose their leaders more carefully and put their strongest principals in the schools that need it most. Instead, they put weak, careless principals in schools that are desperate for a savior. Now I want to throw up.
This tells me that the school district does not care about the school, the community, or the children either. I have heard from multiple sources that our principal has friends in high places and is only principling as a stop in her ambitious attempt to be associate super intendant.
So, the latest news that I have for you came Friday, December 18nth, right before we were dismissed for winter break. All the teachers were ready to go home for the long, restful period when we were called into the library for a mandatory/ emergency meeting. Now what? The super intendant sent one of her cronies to our school to tell us that we no longer had this irrelevant principal. We were getting a new principal. The teachers cheered, some even hugged. Had our half-witted principal been fired, due to her sluggish imprudence? No...... our principal was given a raise. She was put in charge of a massive coordination project that will ultimately put her in charge of an elementary school , a middle school, and a high school as they all move to new locations. It turns out that this principal can now negatively effect the lives of thousands of children, not just the 500 we have at Summer's Elementary. I'm running out of barf bags.
One last thing. The principal that we have been talking about is a lesbian. I don't care what she chooses to be, or anyone else for that matter. The part that kills me is that she brought her lesbian girlfriend to Summer's Elementary during a PTA meeting! By the way, her lesbian girlfriend is the principal of another school in this sorry excuse for an educational district.

4 comments:

  1. Yup, it boils down nowadays to "who you know". These kids don't have coats or their parents have cars? That is real poverty. Don't think I've ever seen things that bad. Whew. Hope you are truly enjoying your break.
    Mikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Yes, things are that bad - one of my students was coming to school in a skirt and sandals till about a week ago - I almost bought her sneakers myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your post on Mr. Teacher.
    I've been teaching 28 years I've had some good principles, but mostly you get a football coach who had three losing seasons or complete and total idiots.
    When one of those idiots was making my life absolutely miserable a good friend (special ed teacher) looked at me and said, "Remember you're permanent she's temporary."
    I've outlasted quite a few and they all seem to get promoted up the food chain. They don't care about education all they want is a big pay check. Unfortunately schools are only their stepping stones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks foe your comment. I can understand where you are coming from since I have survived 5 principals myself and I have not been teaching for nearly as long as you have.

    ReplyDelete