Saturday, January 9, 2010

Class Report Jan. 6 - 8, 2009: Good kids?

My students were actually good this week; I think CNN might run a special on it. Talk about a newsflash, I can't remember the last time all of them were good for a five day stretch. It must be too good to be true - and it was. On the fifth day, when they were so close to going a whole week without causing me any indigestion, Nikki could not hold it together in the lunch room. Before we got to the lunchroom she stopped at the door and exclaimed, "I'm not going in there!" She said this over and over as the other children got their lunches and sat down. Apparently, her problem was not going into the lunchroom, but having to sit at the lunch table with Ricky, who had been annoying her. When I finally coaxed her into getting her lunch and sitting down she got right in Ricky's face with her fist cocked back and said,
" I am going to knock your teeth out lil boy!" Knowing that this seven year old girl is not gun shy when it comes to hitting boys - matter of fact she is trigger happy - I dragged her back out of the cafeteria. She flopped around on the floor, cried a river, and cursed me. Since no other teacher was going to help me, or any staff member for that matter, I had to figure out a plan for getting this psychotic child back to the classroom while the rest of my class was in the lunchroom. It turned out that I had to cut lunch short - the children had to pick up their trays, carry them back to the classroom, and finish eating there. Needless to say, I did not get to have lunch that afternoon.
This was the only outrageous behavior to report this week - so, all in all, I will take this week and store it in the dream category, because this has been the best week that I have ever experienced as a Special Ed. teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment