Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Clarr Report: Jan. 27nth Nikki Unplugged (no meds)

My emotionally disturbed, seven year old student, Nikki is going through a cruel and sudden transition. Her mother refuses to give her medication in the morning before she gets on the bus because she is just too darn lazy. So, we have to give her the first pill when she gets to school. Nikki has to ride the bus, arrive at school, and wait for the nurse to get her the Concerta. Once she has swallowed the pill it takes between 30 to 45 minutes for it to kick in. Naturally, I have to deal with her for the first hour that she is in this precarious state. Today, she licked and spit on her morning paperwork so thoroughly that I could have rung it out and had enough liquid to boil Rigatoni with. Then she took flight around the room, flapping her arms and cawing for no apparent reason. The principal came into my room and asked me why I was not at the PTA meeting last night as Nikki was perched up on her desk staring down at her. The flapping continued, the cawing continued. She called my 9 year old, 220 pound student named John, 'fat' and 'ugly.'She threw damaging items at my smart board.
I was in a tough spot because my 220 pound student will get downright violent if I do not get him breakfast, but with Nikki acting this way and the Concerta's ineffectiveness to this point, I couldn't take her into the hallways. Making tough decisions is part of the job, so I chose option B) Risk the hallway thrill ride rather than deal with a violent, strong and hungry John.
Embarrassing is not even the word for the things that Nikki did in the hallway. First of all, she saw a chair that was labelled 'wet' - a child most likely pee'd in it. She got on the chair with her knees and pushed, and - since the chair had wheels - she helped herself to a joy ride for a few moments until I grabbed hold of it and found out why it was labelled 'wet.' Then, she pushed herself up against the wall and pretended to be asleep for a good minute. Once she had her fun with this game and I pleaded with to stop by offering her riches, my car - anything I could think of - she sprinted down the hall like a young Marion Jones in her prime drug days. I found her in the cafeteria, calmly putting food onto a tray, flashing me that million dollar smile and letting me know that I reminded her of her dead cat named 'Precious.' What an honor, I know how much she loved that cat.
The Concerta had finally taken effect and Nikki was calm enough to tote the tray of breakfast food all the way back to the classroom without anymore mishaps. To top it off, John got to eat many breakfast's because there were some absences, therefore, everyone was happy.
Apparently, I have not received the worst of the abuse that Nikki can dish out when she is not on her med's. The bus driver told me that Nikki said that she looked more like a "Crack-Whore", then a bus driver. Ouch.


**********The outside shell of a Concerta tablet is the immediate dosage, then the rest of it slowly dissolves in time released increments. Supposedly, it lasts the whole day. Not in Nikki's case, thats why we have to give her another just three hours later. I have another student, named Ricky, that has the same type of medicinal schedule and he is still wild throughout the day.**********

No comments:

Post a Comment